Sunday, December 14, 2008

o'christmas tree

If you haven't had the pleasure of seeing one of our Christmas trees, you're in for a treat when I get around to taking a picture of this one. When we moved into this house 11 years ago, Joe & I started a tradition of cutting our own tree, typically on our property. I've been putting off the tree hunt this year because truthfully, I'm a little tired of the Charlie Brown look. I want the full, perfect, beautiful tree, but who am I to break a self-imposed tradition? So, Saturday afternoon the 4, yes 4, of us jumped on the (1) snowmobile and trekked into the woods. We stopped on the trail and hiked in. Joe commented on his love/hate of this process. Love being out in the woods in the winter, hate trying to find a decent tree. We walked for a good half an hour. Well walked, and waited for Ava to catch up. She can't resist eating snow and it really slows her down. Nothing. Back to the trail. I spied a little twig of a tree, maybe six feet high, but several branches (a plus). How about it? Joe says sure, Ava says it's cute, Gabe says no way. OK, we'll ride up the trail a little further and see what we see. Joe and Gabe went to get the sled. Ava and I started up the trail. I asked her again about the twig tree and got the same it's cute response. Let's cut it I said. Mind you the cutting of the tree is typically a big picture taking production with all gathered round while Joe crawls under the thing. Girl Power! Ava and I sawed the twig tree down and started dragging it back down the trail toward the boys. They laughed (well, Gabe cried because it was so ugly). Four+ tree on snowmobile and once again it's a Charlie Brown Christmas.

We decorated the thing tonight. As Joe predicted, it did fall down. The headless angel is sitting on the counter now waiting for some good glue or her replacement. I guess life's never dull in the backwoods.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I keep waiting for the picture, Missy, adn I keep being disapointed. Although at least you've posted something recently, which is more than I can say for yours truly. Got your card yesterday- super cute. Olivia has been reminded that she has a best friend Ava and can't get her out of her mind. Guess we'll be heading up again one of these days!

Carla Meneghini said...

OK...where is the pic of the tree? And a suggestion for next year...when the temp is above freezing (or more ideally in SUMMER) why not take a hike, find the perfect tree, lock the GPS coordinates and make it so much easier next December? Or would that be cheating?!