Monday, September 27, 2010

going batty

If you care, I am terrified of bats. Last night, I was laying in bed reading with just my little reading light on, when I hear a "flopping", "flutter", distinct wing movement kind of sound. Throw my book down, shine my miniature light all over while waking up Joe, "WHAT WAS THAT FLOPPING NOISE?!" He thinks I've gone crazy, there's no flopping noise, he rolls over. Back to my book. I see a shadow zoom over my head. OMG, it's a bat!!! (see first sentence, terrified of bats) My screaming gets Joe's attention. He's irritated that I'm keeping him awake at 11:00, and there certainly is not a bat in our house. "Probably a moth." There's nothing worse than being terrified and having the person your with doubt you or not take your terror seriously. I know all too well how a bat sounds and looks - Towers, 10th floor...bring back any memories my UWEC friends?! It swoops over again. He saw it this time. I have made confirmation. It's a bat. Scream, Scream, Scream. Throw covers over my head and try not to cry. Meanwhile, my husband ponders, "how did a bat get in here...?" Hello, we don't care how it got in. GET IT OUT.

If you've been to our house, you know that our bedroom is a loft that is open to the living room and kitchen below. I'm sure the bat was having great fun flying from our room all the way across the house and back. The damn thing landed at the top of our rock chimney (I think it's around 16' high). I really could have cared less where it landed, or what had to be done to get it out. Joe knew there was no sleep in his future until it was out. I scurried to the bathroom and closed the doors while Joe hauled in a huge ladder to remove it. Then I paced for while and went back to bed with the covers as close to over my head as I could manage, because I was sure there were more.

This is part of the joy of remodeling. Opening your well sealed house up for all unwanted little critters to sneak in. I just know mice are next. Lord help me.

1 comment:

Carla Meneghini said...

Oh gee...don't like bats either. Think 'Stellaluna' that one was kind of cute, wasn't it?