Thursday, October 23, 2008

cold weather recipe

Amy asked me to forward her my recipe for chicken noodle soup , so why not blog it? Then I only have to type it once! It is delicious, if I do say so myself. I stole it off the back of a bag of noodles many years ago.

Chicken & Kluski Noodle Soup
(what is Kluski you ask...a generic Polish name for all kinds of dumplings without a filling...I learn something every day)

4 C cubed cooked chicken or turkey
1.5 C chopped celery
1.5 C chopped onion
3 T margarine or butter
12 C water
1.4 C diced carrots
.5 t pepper
3 - 4 T chicken - flavor instant bouillon
1 t dried basil or marjoram leaves
12 oz package of Creamette Kluski Egg Noodles (uncooked)*

In 6 quart Dutch oven or large kettle, over medium heat, cook celery and onion in butter until tender; add water, chicken, carrots, pepper, bouillon, and marjoram. Bring to a boil on medium-high heat; reduce heat to medium and cook covered 15 minutes. Add noodles: cook 15 minutes longer or until noodles are tender.

*Note - I do not use the Creamette brand, but a local brand, Alberto's, of noodles that comes in a clear bag with green and red writing. They are wonderful!

It's going to be a cold weekend! Make some soup and bundle up!

No comments: