Tuesday, June 28, 2011

13 years

I don’t really do much by way of “I have such an awesome husband” or “my marriage rocks” type of posts. For one, Joe never reads my blog. Two, it just seems too oddly personal for me throw a bunch of stuff out there about us and our relationship. And really, I wonder, does anyone care? I mean, by nature I’m a pretty humble person, so rattling on about how awesome things are just seems weird. Plus I would probably feel compelled to post when it sucks too because I’m just honest that way, and who wants to read that? Let’s just say this is way out of my comfort zone.

However…13 years ago on 6/27 we got married. I do believe there’s some truth to being older and wiser. I’ve learned a lot about myself and my marriage these last 13 years (more in the last 5 than the first 8). I wouldn’t trade what I’ve got for anything. There are times I look back and cringe. We are both strong willed, I wear my emotions on my sleeve and I have spent a lot of time wanting to always be right (need I say more?). What I've learned though is recognizing your faults is more than half the battle. Then working on you and taking ownership of your emotions and feelings and recognizing that nobody can "make you feel" a certain way is the rest of the battle.

Even though it’s against my nature, I feel a little compelled to proclaim our success. We have worked super hard at our marriage. Now that we’re putting in the effort though, reaping the rewards is the best thing. Today I’m really happy. Not everyday is perfect, but I know I'm truly a better me, and I feel more secure and at peace with myself and my relationship with my husband than I ever have. I feel blessed to have such wonderful kids and family and awesome friends.

So, happy anniversary to my husband that will probably never read this, and if he does, he’ll think I’m a huge dork for posting it. I am lucky and love him so much because he encourages me, makes me laugh, builds me cool stuff, never thinks anything is impossible, dreams big, is an awesome dad, kicks my ass when I need it, takes care of me when I need it, thinks of others before himself…because he’s just genuinely a good person. And for that, and about 1000 other reasons, I am thankful.

No comments: