Wednesday, February 15, 2012

next steps

Nobody tells this to people who are beginners.
I wish someone told me. 
All of us who do creative work, we get into it because we have   
good taste
But there is this gap. For the first couple years you make stuff, it’s just not that good
It’s trying to be good, it has potential, 
but it’s not. 
But your taste, the thing that got you into the game, is still  
killer.   
And your taste is why your work disappoints you. 
A lot of people never get past this phase,
they quit.
Most people I know who do interesting, creative
work went through years of this. 
We know our work doesn’t have this special thing that we want it to have.  
We all go through this.
And if you are just starting out or you are still in this
phase,
you gotta know its normal and the most important
thing you can do is do a lot of work.
Put yourself on a deadline so that every week you will finish one
story. It is only by going through a volume of work that you will close that gap, and your work will be as good as your ambitions. 
And I took longer to figure out how to do this than anyone I’ve ever met.
It’s gonna take awhile.
It’s normal to take awhile.
You’ve just gotta fight your way through.
By Ira Glass


This says so much to me I had to share it.  I think I will frame it and hang it in my office as a reminder that I'm not the only one that's incredibly hard on themselves.  Chances are someone I admire probably thinks or has thought they suck too.  It's a process.  
         
When I started blogging I wanted to do it because I really wanted a place to capture memories like an electronic journal
.  I thought it would be so great to have that to look back on.  I've never been good at keeping a journal, electronic or otherwise, so of course this was no different.  What I found my blog ending up to be was a platform for photography.  Testing the waters to help me get brave enough to figure out if I really am good enough to take pictures of other people.  And for that, it worked.

It started with a referral, then another...strangers that paid me even though I didn't ask to be paid, and they hugged me and called me a "photographer".  It was the best feeling ever.  That's how I knew it was time to take the leap.  No, I'm not quitting my day job (people actually asked me that!), but I am doing something that makes me so happy.  I'm experiencing what it's like to really be truly passionate about something and pushing myself into areas I never thought I would.  I am learning more than I knew there was to learn.  I am meeting great people and doing things I never thought I would or could do.  

I am thankful for my husband who bought me my 35mm film camera then my digital SLR and encouraged me through the classes, tutoring sessions, dark room and everything along the way.  I never knew how much that meant over the years, but I couldn't have done it without his push.  I am lucky for great family and friends who have been so supportive with kind words and referrals!  I'm thankful for the time of other photographers and business owners that I have bombarded with questions along the way.  You know who you are, thank you!

Who knows, I may be back blogging again someday.  But for now, please check out my new website when you have time www.floweringheatherphotography.com.  I'd love to hear from you and love it if you thought of me the next time you or someone you know needs pictures :)

XOXO ~ Heather

No comments: